[aprssig] Voice Alert ReDux once more again

Charlie Gallo Charlie at TheGallos.com
Tue Jun 15 06:26:52 EDT 2010

On 6/15/2010 Steve Noskowicz wrote:

> --- Billy Mason (wrote:
>> Face it, many people just simply do not want to engage
>> in unsolicited conversation...
>> even when the radio is set to Voice Alert.

> I can't get a grasp on this.  This makes no sense at all.  Having
> the Voice Alert Tone enabled IS SOLICTING conversation.  That's the
> point, the whole point and nothing but the point.

The issue is, people are NOT going to reprogram their rigs, change settings.  Let us  be realistic, MOST hams, MOST days, particularly with VHF/UHF Mobile operations would be best served by a radio VERY similar to a commercial rig (aka police type) - turns on with the car, set to either the last used frequency, or some predefined frequency when the car turns on, turns OFF when you turn off the car.  They will use the radio to talk on 1-2 local repeaters, and even then, if it's not someone they know/want to talk to, they aren't going to pick up the Mic.  If the radio takes more than 5 seconds (and that's giving you about 3 seconds more than I think) attention on most days, it's just NOT going to happen.

Maybe - just maybe, with future smart rigs (see below about 'future' and legacy stuff) the way to do this would be "when you power up the rig, it does NOT do voice alert, even if it was set to do it when it shut down, and it requires ONE button push to enable"

Is it the 'way it's supposed to be'?  No, but it IS the way it is

It's the classic difference between American and British English - Pre vs Post descriptive.  The 'American' style spellings (Webster) described 'what actually was in practice', where the British style was trying to define 'what should be' - which is why you have things like gray/grey and color/coulor

A LOT of what I see described on this list, particularly by say Bob, is describing "what should be", but Bob also tempers this by looking at what IS, and tries to figure out how to get from "where we are, to where we should be".  It's an IMPORTANT role - it's the role of an upper manager in a company, where as the average employee is more worried about "How do I get my job done today?"

The truth is, we have a LOT of TinyTrackIIIs, a LOT of KPC3s (not even 3+es) we have a lot of Kenwood 700s, we have a LOT of digi owners who ignore their digis (can't be bothered - or can't GET to their digi except maybe 1-2 times/year).  In short, we have a LOT of legacy gear AND a lot of inertia out there

--
73 de KG2V - Charles Gallo
Quality Custom Machine-shop work for the radio amateur (sm)