[aprssig] Voice Alert ReDux once more again

Steve Noskowicz noskosteve at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 15 02:13:30 EDT 2010

--- Billy Mason (wrote:
> Face it, many people just simply do not want to engage
> in unsolicited conversation...
> even when the radio is set to Voice Alert.

I can't get a grasp on this.  This makes no sense at all.  Having the Voice Alert Tone enabled IS SOLICTING conversation.  That's the point, the whole point and nothing but the point.

Otherwise, why have the tone on in the first place ?  If you want to let folks know you are 'just there', your Beacons already do that.  You're covered.  If you want to let someone special know that you are getting close, then use another Tone Frequency.  When your wife/girl hears your sqwaking she can turn up the heat either on the stove or, if she's inclined (no pun intended, or was it) in another room... (;-)

Voice Alert _IS_ A CQ.  It's PURPOSE is to let others within simplex range know (Alert them) that you want to talk (using Voice).  Get it?  "Voice Alert".  It is not an "Ignore Me Alert" or an "I don't want anyone to know I'm here Alert"  "I'm within range and I'll just taunt you with my beacon sqwaks Alert".  It is an "I'm here and within simplex range and therefore want to talk, Alert".

Don't call CQ  if you aren't going to listen.

I propose calling it "Travler CQ" and refer to is as such in my Beginner guide.

Think I pretty well covered it ??
--
 73, Steve, K9DCI   USN (Vet) MOT (Ret) Ham (Yet)

Up to date APRS Beginner Guide - updated Apr-2010
  http://K9DCI.home.comcast.net
    Click 'APRS Beginner INFO' under Contact
Time and reality always catch up with stupidity.