[aprssig] SSID Standardization

Wes Johnston, AI4PX wes at ai4px.com
Thu Jun 10 14:55:40 EDT 2010

What we need is some sort of open source packet encoder and display that
allows people to play with the data but not mess with the frequency limits
of the radio... hmm... Oh yes, this is called HAM HUD.  www.hamhud.net

Wes

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 14:52, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) <
ldeffenb at homeside.to> wrote:

> david Vanhorn wrote:
>
>> As an embedded systems developer, I don't see why this shoul add any cost
>> at all to a modern radio.
>>

> Support costs would be astronomical unless some truly bullet-proof
> hardware/firmware and "don't call us if you break it" language is in place.
>  Just look at how many people can't set up a D710 or VX-8R without
> assistance, I know I keep referring to the books for programming my simple
> HTs.  Imagine the complexity when 10 different users of the same radio have
> 15 different ways to do the same thing.  And they'll think they can call the
> manufacturer when it doesn't work right.
>
> Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Liking the idea, but not enamored with the practicality

Wes
---
God help those who do not help themselves.