[aprssig] SSID Standardization

david Vanhorn kc6ete at gmail.com
Thu Jun 10 14:45:52 EDT 2010

Perhaps someone who has the ear of a major player or two, could suggest open source radios.

Keep the low level functions in rom for compliance and to prevent damage, but have an open source application layer that we can change however we like.  Knobs should be encoders, so that they can be read digitally and used for whatever the application wants.

As an embedded systems developer, I don't see why this shoul add any cost at all to a modern radio.

-- Sent from my Palm Prē
On Jun 10, 2010 7:20, Robert Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu> wrote:

> None, but if we keep putting bandages on it rather

> than pushing for the manufacturers to do it right

> we'll keep waiting for a long time.

Push, push.. Push?

Its sad that ham radio has devolved to an appliance hobby where

we just sit on our hands and wait for the Japanese to design our

next toy and then have it manufactured in China and shipped to

our waiting hands...

> It sounds like the Kenwood D710 is half-way there. Let's push

to get

> that last little bit fixed.

I have been.  High on my list of upgrades for the last 2 years

to the D710 has been the INTERRUPT-ALWAYS setting for the

interrupt display.  Right now, you can have INTERUUPT-FULL or

INTERRUPT-HALF to set how the information on a new packet will

flash up on the front panel.  BUT as I explained, this only

happens once.  There is no INTERRUPT ALWAYS.

If you do not see that one flash, from then on, if that station

is heard later, all you see is "DP CALLSIGN" with no other

clues.  Its been that way since 1998 with the D7, and carried

through on the D700 and then the D710.

No matter how much one would desire to go back and change these

tens of thousands of radios, it is never going to happen.  And

so I see no harm in taking matters into our own hands and

*CONTINUING* what we have been doing for 18 years, and that is

using common SSID's where practical.

If one can change something, do it.  If one cannot, then one

should get out of the way so we can do the best with what we

have.

Bob, WB4APR

aprssig at tapr.org