[aprssig] SSID Standardization

Earl Needham earl.kd5xb at gmail.com
Thu Jun 10 14:11:46 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 11:35 AM, Robert Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu> wrote:

> > I periodically get messages where somebody
> > is trying to correct my use of -11 as
> > my SSID in the 18-wheeler...
>
> Yes, that is a good question.  18 wheelers have been using -14
> for nearly 15 years.  If you are an 18 wheeler and are proud of
> it, then why not use the -14 that all the other professionals
> are using.?  It makes it easy to pick out the pros in the list
> and try to make a QSO.

How do I take that?  Are you saying that use of -11 instead of -14 makes me
non-professional???

Seems to me that it should be pretty easy to figure out -- if it's moving,
it's a car, unless it's going slower than about 75 or 80 MPH, then it's a
truck.

> > If you wish to go back to using SSIDs to set icons,
> > then whatever happened to -9=car, -10=truck, etc???
>
> I don't know where you have been, but just about everyone uses
> -9 for their primary mobile and -7 for their HT.  This has
> nothing to do about ICONS.  It is choosing an SSID CALLSIGN that
> gives some recognition to that callsign-SSID combination when it
> appears in lists.

What I was trying to point out is that we HAD a standard, and it's been
discarded.

Earl