[aprssig] SSID Standardization

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Jun 7 11:08:00 EDT 2010

> >-9  primary Mobiles of all types
> >-14 Truckers and full time drivers
>
> Why take up one of the 16 available SSIDs to
> distinguish between regular mobiles and trucks?

Because of all the 16 SSID's those two are the two most common
ones that have been in use for the last 18 years and there is no
reason to expect them to change (hams hate change).  Further,
there are some -9's that are sometimes more clueless than some
of the -14's professionals and so it is nice to instantly see
the difference...

> SSIDs really present a problem for me.

For me too.  Imagine how many stations I have, both at work
(education) and at home..  There are not nearly enough SSID's
for me... But I manage...

> In my APRS arsenal, I have the following:
>
> 1. A Kenwood TM-D710 in my car.
> 2. A Kenwood TM-D710 in my SUV.
> 3. Two Argent Data T2-135s in Alinco DR-135 radios
> 4. Two Argent Data T2-301s standalone trackers.
> 5. And I occasionally run UI-View either at home or mobile.
>
> If I give them all a separate SSID, I need seven.

And there are 16 available.  So I don't see any problem.  Just
pick some from the standard list and use them.  Oh, Ill add (and
others) to the -1, through -4 so that one should have no problem
using those for extra mobiles if they want...

Bob, WB4APR