[aprssig] SSID Standardization

Jason Rausch jason at ke4nyv.com
Mon Jun 7 07:28:14 EDT 2010

The only way I found any SSID standardization to work was on the local level.  When a local group of users came together and decided on a list that worked for them, it worked.  Every area has different needs when it comes to identifying a station with a particular SSID.  For example, in my area of Virginia (Eastern Shore) we have lots of water around us and we felt there was a need for a marine mobile with and without messaging capability.  That made sense since we are 90% surrounded by water.

The flip side to that coin is, if we lived in Oklahoma, there is not that much water and a marine SSID would be pretty useless.

Our list goes like this:

- 1  Secondary Home
- 2  Special Event
- 3  Educational (School)
- 4  Secondary Digipeater
- 5  Primary Digipeater
- 6  Wireless Device ie. Android/iPhone <<< New Group
- 7  Kenwood APRS (D7/700/710)
- 8  Yaesu APRS (VX8/8GR/8DR)
- 9  Primary Weather
- 10 Secondary Weather
- 11 Experimental (Testing)
- 12 Maritime (No Messaging)
- 13 Maritime (Messaging)
- 14 Mobile (No Messaging)
- 15 Mobile (Messaging)

We didn't see a whole lot of point in catagorizing all of the various mobile types into different SSIDs, with the exception of the Kenwood and Yaesu radios.  Just because you are in a truck vs. a car, there is no need for a different SSID for that.

Just my $0.02 on the subject!

Jason Rausch - KE4NYV
RPC Electronics, LLCD
www.rpc-electronics.com