[aprssig] KJ4GQV ClusterBalloon Flying

Joe Dubner jdubner at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 09:24:29 EDT 2010

Matti Aarnio <oh2mqk at sral.fi> wrote:

> Above altitude of 3000 feet one should use at most WIDE1-1, preferrably
> no via paths at all.  Think about how many receivers a flyer does reach
> directly with their transmission.

Aside from WIDE1-1 being a poor choice of paths for an airborne station,
lets talk about altitude.

What's so special about an arbitrary altitude?  Is that 3000 feet MSL
(mean sea level) or AGL (above ground level)?  In the western USA (like
Idaho), there's a big difference.  What should an airborne station do
when flying in a remote area, a mountainous area, or an area of poor
Igate or digipeater coverage?  Is the pilot of a small aircraft expected
to actively manage his path "on the fly", adding to his workload while
taking away from his priorities: aviate, navigate, communicate?  For the
tiny percentage of the time that an airborne station is transmitting,
can't the network afford to take some "abuse"?

My point is that a "one size fits all" solution with regard to altitude
is not a solution.  In my own airborne experience, I've found that
long-delayed packets are a serious problem even with the most benign
path (WIDE2-1) that gives coverage at lower altitudes (where good
coverage is desirable from a final position or a search and rescue
standpoint).  After all, each flight ends at 0 AGL :-)

Reaching a large number of receivers is an unfortunate aspect of
airborne operation.  IMO the APRS-IS and the APRS tracking web sites
need to do better duplicate packet filtering.  For years I've been
frustrated by aprsworld.net (RIP), findu.com and aprs.fi reporting
duplicates so late that my aircraft was already on the ground when they
arrived.  Once I received three packets from Nevada more than 24 hours
after they were sent (and first received)!

I don't know what the total solution is.  But a partial one is within
reach.  I created a tracking site for my own aviation needs that
attempts to remove ALL bad, bogus, and duplicate packets
(http://www.mail2600.com/cgi-bin/everyone.cgi) from my APRS-IS feed.
Other aviators are welcome to use it too.  It doesn't track balloons or
helicopters but it could if someone requested that.

73,
Joe, K7JD
Long-EZ 821RP