[aprssig] KJ4GQV ClusterBalloon Flying

Matti Aarnio oh2mqk at sral.fi
Fri Jul 30 01:34:45 EDT 2010

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 12:52:08AM -0400, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
> Track the Helium Cluster Balloon (http://www.ClusterBalloon.com)
> heading out over Lake Michigan tracking as KJ4GQV.  Currently at
> 10,820 feet going 22mph SE about 3 miles from shore.
> http://aprs.fi/?call=KJ4GQV
>
> Too bad he doesn't do APRS Messaging, or we could keep him company!

Too bad that while he is flying high, he is sending packets with path
of WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1.

The result is excessive digipeating all over the place, and very lenghty
packet propagation delays resulting in all sorts of merryment due to old
packets becoming igated...

  http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=KJ4GQV&limit=500&view=normal

Above altitude of 3000 feet one should use at most WIDE1-1, preferrably
no via paths at all.  Think about how many receivers a flyer does reach
directly with their transmission.

Bob should really write some new guidance on path definitions for flyers.

There should also be more igates so that such high flyer's packets are
igated directly without needing to go via digi.   (Integrate igate into
a digi - it does need internet connectivity, of course.)

> (And avid armchair Balloon tracker)

73 de Matti, OH2MQK