[aprssig] APRS Messaging

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Thu Jul 29 03:15:49 EDT 2010

  On 7/28/2010 10:29 PM, Brett Friermood wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 11:56 PM, Adi Linden<adil at adis.on.ca>  wrote:
>> I've read the docs you've recommended. I suppose I am interested in a lot more detail. In order
>> for a message to make it from IS to RF, does the iGate need to listen to the complete IS data
>> stream? Or is there a mechanism that allows an iGate to forward the "heard" list to upstream
>> server(s) to establish a path for messaging?
> The IS is smart. It knows which stations have been heard by which
> IGates.

Actually the APRS-IS does NOT make these decisions.   The decision to gate or
not gate   IS-to-RF  is made by each igate.   APRS-IS servers constantly
exchange data with each other.  It does not matter which APRS-IS server an
igate connects to. The igate will receive the same data from the IS, as
determined by the user-defined filters.

Every igate maintains a table of stations heard on RF.   If a given station was
heard recently (typically within the last half hour or hour) and is considered
local (meaning typically heard direct or via only a single digi hop), any
messages bound for that station from the Internet will be grabbed from the IS
stream and re-transmitted on RF.

When a mobile moves from the local area of an igate (or shuts down), the
station will be dropped from the "locals heard" list of the igate after a
half-hour or hour or so.  As a result that particular igate will quit grabbing
messages for that mobile from the IS, and will stop transmitting them on RF.
   Hopefully, by that time, the mobile has moved into the local area of another
igate where the process repeats itself.

In other words,  for a message on the Internet to get to a mobile, the mobile
must have been heard first on RF recently and nearby by an igate.   Further,
that igate must be explicitly configured for "reverse-gating".

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

NEW!    *** HF APRS over PSK63 ***
    http://wa8lmf.net/APRS_PSK63/index.htm

Universal HF/VHF/UHF Antenna Mounting System
   http://wa8lmf.net/mobile/UniversalAntMountSystem.htm

   http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths