[aprssig] APRS in SW PA

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Jul 28 12:59:24 EDT 2010

I was asked to look at APRS in SWPA.  Here is a quick look:

Most digi's look OK, but are wasting a lot of display space on
the mobiles with the useless "/A=001200" construct which is
useless compared to PHG data.  Also I see little evidence that
most of the digi's are putting out the LOCAL INFO objects of
value to travelers.

I do see 6 digipeaters or so:

W3VC-1 looks OK as an Igate, but has no PHG data.  It also does
not appear to be putting out any local INFO objects.

W3EXW - Format looks perfect, But it does not appear to be
putting out any local INFO objects.

N3SH-2 looks good in all respects, except that it wastes a lot
of status text with /A=001414 which means nothing, since the PHG
data is included and does mean something.  This pushes the more
useful info off the display of mobiles.  This digi is also
putting out a FREQ object for the 443.650 repeater which is
good.

W3YNI digi looks good.  But also wastes display space with
/A=001217 which  pushes all the more useful info off the display
of the mobiles.

N3WWN-3 is putting our a 147.180PA freq object.  This is good.

W3PIE looks good and has a 147.045 repeater in its status, but I
see no evidence that it is putting out a separate object.

KF8YK-1 is the only digi to the NW I can see and it seems
perfect.  But I see no evidence of any local INFO objects.

So, bottom line, someone needs to get to each of these SYSOPS
and convince them to read www.aprs.org/localinfo.html and update
their digi's.

Hope that helps.

Bob, WB4APR