[aprssig] Kenwood D700/D710 RF Problems

Mark Earle wa2mct at mearle.com
Wed Jul 21 19:22:03 EDT 2010

On 7/21/2010 5:42 PM, Herb Gerhardt wrote:
> Since we are discussing noise issues, this might be a good time to bring up
> my problem with a D700 radio.  I am also changing the title to Kenwood
> D700/D710 RF Problems.

Are your radios mounted to something (Rack shelf and then cabinet?

Is cabinet/radios/everything connected to site ground?

Are you using circulators on all transmitters?

Is your power supply chassis connected to the site ground?

Have you checked the ground safety lead of the 110v connection?

Is the site ground really ground?! The idea is everything is / should be
grounded to ONE point.

What type of antenna, feedline are in use?

I might consider using:
     Converted commercial radio(s).

     External TNC's in shielded, grounded enclousres, all leads with
toroids.

     Mechanical sprinkler timer for an overnight power recycle of
everything.

     Commercial antennas.

     Hardline -- no coax - or double shielded coax only if antenna run
is short.

     Minimize and eliminate adaptors, jumpers.

     All jumpers superflex or double-shield coax.

     Preferably, all jumper connectors crimped - no solder on PL-259's.

--
       ) )    de WA2MCT Mark
      ( (     Echolink 99190      Grid Square EL17HQ
    `|____|   wa2mct at mearle.com  wa2mct at juno.com  wa2mct at arrl.net