[aprssig] Slashdot Story: France Says D-Star Ham Radio Mode IsIllegal

Dave Baxter dave at uk-ar.co.uk
Thu Jul 1 08:54:44 EDT 2010

Come on you guys.   Think of the obvious....

Just because something "Is" legal in the US, does not automaticaly make
it so elsewhere.   We the users have no choice in the matter.

The codec is indeed propriatery, so that means the national authorites
will have to pay a fee to get something that can eavesdrop on it.  (If
they wish to, I was wondering when this might pop up....)   And you can
bet your bottom dollar that fee will not be as cheap for a government
department, as it is for an end user.   I still can't help wondering why
the Japanese chose that, other than it was for some commercial kit, and
it just "spilled over" into the amateur product line by default...

In the UK and many other teretories, it's indeed ilegal to encrypt any
voice or data sent over the air as an "Amateur".   That alone would
appear to make D-Star "iffy" to say the least.  But, there are many
D-Star nodes here in the UK now, for better or worse, and fully licenced
too.  So what gives?  Who knows, I don't.   (I don't have any D-Star
kit, and have no desire for any, so I don't know how "interconnected" it
is with the 'net here in the UK.)

Conversley, I am lead to believe, that some HF digital modes are not
permitted for HAM use in the US (some of the STANAG modes)?  In relation
do bandwidth and data rate.   Where as elsewhere, anything can be done,
if the resulting spectrum is kept in band.

Anyway, who believes everything they see on SlashDot... ?

73.

Dave G0WBX(G8KBV)