[aprssig] An amusing aside (Text Pagers) APRStt

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sat Jan 30 16:20:42 EST 2010

> > But the DTMF keypad is never going to go away
>
> I'm not so sure about that. ... phones will
> only have numeric keypads pads tied to digital
> encoders; not tone generators.

OK, I meant DTMF keypad in existing millions of ham radios in
North America I mean..

>>  Every kid with a cell phone can use a keypad...
> Because you can see what your are typing before you send
> it!!!   ... no need for kludges that involve a million
> key-presses to enter the simplest one-line message.

You completely miss the point of APRStt.  You only enter the 12
digits that represet your callsign ONCE and save it in DTMF
memory.  You never have to do that again.  From then on, you
only hit 2 keys to send it anytime.  Bingo...  You are in APRS
worldwide.

Similarly you can pre-save the 2 or 3 positions that describe
99% of your lifestyle and save them in a DTMF memory to recall
anytime with 2 buttons.

I agree that very few ever will text with DTMF because it is a
hassle.  But then that is not at all what APRStt is all about.
But if you DO need to send an urgent message at least you CAN if
you want to.  Same as APRS.  Probably only 1 in a thousand APRS
packets are a message.  But it is nice to be able to send a
message or email when you need to.

All the rest of the time, APRS is just the real-time
communications clearinghouse for enabling
real-time-communications between hams.  Let the DTMF users
announce their presence too.

Bob, Wb4APR