[aprssig] An amusing aside (Text Pagers)

Wes Johnston, AI4PX wes at ai4px.com
Fri Jan 29 20:08:13 EST 2010

Looks the like Jason's beat me to the punch.

With a cellphone, I have an LCD display and can correct my boo boo's.  When
I played with APRS TT back in 2001 time frame, I got mic-fright with it.  I
had to really concentrate to figure out what I wanted to type in before I
keyed up and started.  It was very intimidating. (honestly).

If we had a way to see the numbers we've entered, or somehow compose a
message / posit packet offline, then have a pic processor spit out the DTMF
string for us, we'd have a winner.  But then again, why not have the little
pic processor spit out a normal packet?  the answer may be that a 1200 baud
AFSK packet can't be squirted in by holding a small device close to a
microphone... the DTMF's can. So I could use this little cigarette sized
black box with an lcd display on it to compose a position report "off
line",then it would build the DTMF tones needed to convey my info.  I would
hold this near the mic of any radio or HT and vollia.  This would be the
deal maker.  Preprogramming DTMFs in one or two memories is close, but no
cigar.  Along the same lines, we *could* compose aprs packets by hand, but
we all use software to build the packets for us.  This should be no
different.  The true "hacker"/ "uber geek" types can certainly punch all the
right DTMF sequence, but to reach the masses, a helper device would go a
long way toward general acceptance / useage.

Wes
---
God help those who do not help themselves.