[aprssig] An amusing aside (Text Pagers)

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Jan 29 19:01:32 EST 2010

> The big problem I see with APRStt
> (and it's a huge one, IMO) is that
> any dynamic data is entered blind...

That is why APRStt is designed to respond by voice with an
acknowledgment of thwat you entered EVERY decent DTMF system
does that.  Any critical data it will voice back to you and then
ask you to confirm or deny before it executes it...

> Yeah, I can store my call and a few
> preselected messages, positions, etc
> beforehand...

Yep, and that handles most of what APRStt is good for. 95% of my
life is being at one of 2 or 3 places and my callsign.  If I can
do that from any of my 30 year collection of radios, Id really
be a happy camper...

> but I just can't see the implementation effort
> being worth it for a few static messages...

In my case only three:
1) Callsign:  - will show up in AA County Maryland with date and
time (now) and it will show what frequency I am monitoring and
possibly what Echolink number I am monitoring.
2) Position1: - Will show me near my house in Glen Burnie
3) Position2: - Will move me near work in Annapolis

Unfortunately, that describes my life.  I'd sure be happy doing
that without having to bother with a GPS, getting lock, being
out-doors, and having to have a $500 radio to do it, plus all
the wries cables, and fuses.  AND the other 95% of the people in
my club could play.  Not just the 5% that have APRS radios..

Bob, Wb4APR