[aprssig] Group Message Codes

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Sat Jan 23 21:17:34 EST 2010

Bob Bruninga wrote:
> The kewnnod radios for example are pre-loaded with some generic default MSG groups:  ALL, QST, CQ and KWD.  To which you can add others...

I know this isn't your primary area of expertise, but do you have any
experience with having those MSG groups gated from -IS to RF?  I agree
that you'd have to be careful (as Pete VE1PS / VE9NPS is trying to be)
to not gate superfluous messages into a local RF environment, but I can
see the desire for a larger-than-RF-but-smaller-than-world group to have
direct, instant, non-time-constrained messaging simultaneously to all
group members.

BTW, not being a Kenwood APRS-radio owner, that's the first I've seen
KWD mentioned as a pre-defined MSG group!

Now that I've heard about KWD, maybe I'll hard-code (or make a default,
but disable-able) ISCE (or somesuch) MSG group in my new client.  This
gets back to the original question as posted by Pete (even if it turns
out that he wasn't referring to MSG groups):

 > My question is, is there a standardized allocation of these groups
codes each State, Province, Territory around the world / in North
America, etc?

Is there a master list of MSG groups that would include things like KWD
(the others are in aprs101.pdf) similar to the ToCalls list?

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ