[aprssig] Group Message Codes

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Sat Jan 23 20:26:58 EST 2010

Lynn KJ4ERJ wrote...

> I don't think so. That would be the SSn-N extension to the WIDEn-N
> paradigm. Pull up your favourite dog-eared copy of aprs101.pdf (or
> Google to get a new one) and read up on "Message Groups" on pages
> 72-73. It is as Bob described, an APRS message receiving alias that
> causes the APRS client to display the incoming message as if it were
> directed to the receiving station.

My copy of aprs101.pdf isn't very dog-eared. It's in PDF format - hi!
I have a copy on my hard drive and on the UI-View web site. I refer
to it from time to time. It will never wear out, but it would be nice to
get all the additions and addendums and "seat of the pants" additions
rolled into a new spec one day. Or we could just adopt OpenTrac protocol.

> The question, as I understood it, was getting a message group
> "callsign"'s APRS messages to gate from -IS to RF when there isn't
> really a "local" "recent" station using that "callsign".

 I think Pete should clarify his question, but he said...

>> There is a growing group of APRS users here in the Maritime
>> Provinces of Canada. As such we have opened a Google Group
>> to provide a forum for us to communicate, similar to this.

So far, he's talking about setting up a Yahoo group. OK so far.

>> In so doing, users have now started playing with Group Messaging.

Still fine so far, but I assume he's talking about APRS message groups now.

>>  In Nova Scotia, the Digis are all programmed with "NS" as a
>> group code. In New Brunswick they are set up with "NB" and in
>> Prince Edward Island, "PE".

That's why I think he is referring to digi paths when he mentioned
NB, NS and PE, otherwise known as SSn-N, known on your side of the
line as "state flooding" - while mentioning

>> My question is, is there a standardized allocation of these groups codes
>> each State, Province, Territory around the world / in North America, etc?

This is why I think he is mixing apples with oranges.

>> We have included NS in the local I-Gate here in Halifax so that it
>> will gate messages from IP to RF for NS.  We are concerned that if
>> there is another region using "NS" that it might start spewing out traffic
>> for another NS region.

His intention might be to discuss message groups, but his referral to
"Digis are all programmed with "NS" etc." kind of muddies the waters.

In spite of having mentioned message groups, perhaps his intention was to
set up a bulletin group as shown on page 74... e.g. BL1NB, BL1NS, BL1PE.
I still think Pete should clarify the question.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH