[aprssig] Replacement for UI-View any one

Bob Burns W9RXR w9rxr_ at rlburns.net
Fri Jan 22 15:30:01 EST 2010

At 02:19 PM 1/22/2010, Keith VE7GDH wrote:
>Was there a particular feature you were looking for that was lacking
>in UI-View, or are you thinking more of future generations of the
>operating systems evolving to the point where UI-View wouldn't run on it?

That's my concern, Keith. After some effort, I got UI-View and the
PMapServer to run under Vista. I haven't tried Windows 7 yet. I am
very concerned that future Windows versions will become incompatible
with UI-View and UI-View users will be forced to find something else.
What that "something else" is, I don't know.

As for features, the only concern I have with UI-View is mapping. To
me, an APRS client that does not have pan and zoom maps based on
regularly-updated map data is not worth my time. Luckily, we have the
PMapServer. But, to my way of thinking, an APRS client should have
that capability built-in.

Bob...