[aprssig] Replacement for UI-View any one

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Fri Jan 22 08:16:34 EST 2010

Wes Johnston, AI4PX wrote:
> xastir with the co-linux kernel is the way to go.  Have run xastir
> using cygwin and it worked well, but a couple of years ago cygwin
> broke and I gave up (maybe it works now??).  VM ware running some
> variant of linux within windows works but its a little clunky for the
> users to figure out why their mouse won't move outside the bounds of
> the window.  I used co-linux about a year ago and it was really slick.
>
> http://www.xastir.org/wiki/index.php/HowTo:Windows_andLinux

Apparently, according to http://www.andlinux.org/ andLinux which that
link to Xastir requires, only works on 32-bit Windows platforms.  There
are those of us that have already graduated to 64 bit Windows and won't
look back.  And, no, I'm not going to fire up a 32 bit XP penalty box
under 64 bit Windows to run a coLinux-based andLinux just to fire up an
APRS client.  Yes, I CAN do that, but I'd really rather run a native
client.  There wasn't one, so I'm building one and welcoming others'
input to help me make it better.

(but not unwilling to try out what others have done / are doing if it's
not too convoluted or difficult)