[aprssig] Yaesu FTM-350R

Wes Johnston, AI4PX wes at ai4px.com
Tue Jan 5 14:38:09 EST 2010

Things that I see in the manual.....

Bluetooth has PTT or VOX.  I'm not clear if you use the little button on the
headset for PTT or if you can use the mic jack PTT, but in any case, VOX
will probably suit my motorcycle needs.

APRS:
 proportional pathing
decay beacon for stopped vehicle
smart beacon.  Seems to have 3 canned settings for various
speeds/situations.  You can adjust each of the canned settings.
canned messages
canned paths
tx of other side of radio frequency/squelch code.
1200/9600 operation (can we use the TNC as a TNC with a PC too??? found it,
YES)
100ms to 1000ms txdelay for TNC
GPS output on com port (does it send nmea waypoint data???)
sort stations on screen by call,time or dx
filter stations on screen by type or message/posit.
clones over the air
has an 8 pin minidin that consolidates PC De-9 and the mini-6 packet
(external tnc) audio interface.  It has a funky y cable to allow use of both
functions, the connector is a FEMALE 9 wired to plug right in to a PC...
YAY... just in time for my laptop to not have a serial port :-/
I can't confirm this, but it looks like you could connect an external TNC to
one side of the radio and use the internal TNC for the other side.
not sure about the make of internal TNC... what is the max buffer size?

The "deal breaker" I can't find is the GPS out function.  Very little said
about GPS OUT... I'm forced to assume that since this unit has an optional
internal GPS that it's data would be the GPS out - the normal NMEA lat/lon
stuff.  I can't find any ref to outputting waypoints... you know the usual
language about 6 or 9 character callsign lengths and such.  I sure hope this
feature isn't missing.

Wes

--
Wes