[aprssig] APRS Messenger now has APRS over PSK-63

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Sun Feb 28 23:22:25 EST 2010

Stephen H. Smith wrote:
> In the real world of noise, trash and constantly shifting propagation
> on HF, Mic-E makes a major difference in the success rate of posits on
> HF.     In experiments I did with a TinyTrak III on an HF mobile
> (FT-100 into a ATAS-100 screwdriver) about two years ago, nearly twice
> as many posits were successfully received using Mic-E compared to the
> standard APRS format for positions.
>
> While you may be able to guess at the content of a garbled text
> message, I don't know how you would be able to guess at the missing
> digits of a mangled position report.  (Unless they happen to be the
> least significant decimal minutes values -- then the rest of the
> digits might still be useful.)

Good reasoning for Bob's suggestion of Grid Square, it's humanly
readable, only 6 characters so across 2 or 3 garbled receptions a person
can make sens of it.  It's short enough to improve reception chances.
The only drawback would be if you're trying to get truly detailed
positions from it, then Mic-E makes more sense for tracking purposes.

Chris - If you're following this, it might be good to include both Mic-E
and Grid Square in the beacon format options when you add GPS support.
I'm adding it to my ToDo list for APRSISCE/32.