[aprssig] APRS Messenger now has APRS over PSK-63

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sun Feb 28 23:07:52 EST 2010

On 2/28/2010 7:32 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
> Stephen H. Smith wrote:
>> I assume that once APRS Messenger gains the GPS input and capability
>> to send posits, that this will work to put APRS posits on the map in
>> any (or all) of these programs.    To make the most of the slow PSK
>> transmission rate, I would strongly suggest that APRS Messenger use
>> the highly-compressed MIc-E transmission format since it is about
>> ONE-THIRD the length of a plain-text APRS posit. The downside is that
>> it is not human-readable, although ALL APRS mapping applications can
>> decode it.
>
> My only comment on the Mic-E format for APRS Messenger is that part of
> the author's intent was to allow users to visually decode incompletely
> received or partially garbled transmissions.  Yes, Mic-E will save
> transmission time, but will take you back to the entire packet needing
> to be received before any sense can be made of the position.
>
> Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Just my $0.02

In the real world of noise, trash and constantly shifting propagation on
HF, Mic-E makes a major difference in the success rate of posits on
HF.     In experiments I did with a TinyTrak III on an HF mobile (FT-100
into a ATAS-100 screwdriver) about two years ago, nearly twice as many
posits were successfully received using Mic-E compared to the standard
APRS format for positions.

While you may be able to guess at the content of a garbled text message,
I don't know how you would be able to guess at the missing digits of a
mangled position report.  (Unless they happen to be the least
significant decimal minutes values -- then the rest of the digits might
still be useful.)

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

NEW!    Universal HF/VHF/UHF Antenna Mounting System
   http://wa8lmf.net/mobile/UniversalAntMountSystem.htm

   http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths

Symbols Set for UI-View,
UIpoint and APRSplus: