[aprssig] APRS Historical Data Analysis

Jeffrey Johnson ortelius at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 15:55:28 EST 2010

Hi all,

I am considering doing some analysis of historical and current aprs
data with Hadoop, Hbase and the MapReduce paradigm on AmazonWS EC2 as
an academic project. I'm wondering if there is a way that I could
somehow get access to the entire range of historical data from APRS-IS
from the sysops of some of the servers. Any idea on how many packets
that actually amounts to (order of magnitude?). By my back of the
envelope calculations, it should be roughly 1.25B/year, but I have no
idea of the length of the historical record.

Thanks in advance ... 73,

Jeff
KJ6CKB