[aprssig] TNC Converse mode startup?

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Fri Feb 26 13:04:38 EST 2010

Bob WB4APR wrote...

> How can I get a TNC (KPC-3+) to always come up in
> unproto-converse?

In he KPC3+ UNPROTO is the destination.

To put a KPC3+ in converse mode, you send either
CONVERS or K to it. You have to be in command mode for
it to recognize the command.

If it was in KISS mode, you would have to take it out of KISS
mode before it would recognize the CONVERS command.

Don't forget the INTface command... Terminal, NEWUSER, BBS, KISS,
XKISS, HOST, GPS and MODEM. The first letter e.g. T for Terminal can
be used. To get it out of KISS mode, send the following (HEX) to it...

C0 FF C0

If you're on a keyboard...

ALT-192
ALT-255
ALT-192

> For our 5 APRS satellites that all flew with Kantronics TNCs we
> had them burn special roms anyway, so that was just one of the
> defaults.  Maybe I am having a brain gap, but I cannot find any
> command to go to converse that is not lost on the next power up.

I'm just going by the manual for a regular KPC3+. I don't know what
settings if any would be different with your special ROMs.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH