[aprssig] NH7C-3 on APRS Messenger - APRS over PSK-63

Sid at NH7C.com Sid at NH7C.com
Thu Feb 18 17:28:05 EST 2010

Hello All,

I am up on APRS Messenger as of 20 minutes ago.

My first spot/QSO on APRS over PSK-63 was with WB8SKP-2, followed by a
report via APRS from KJ4ERJ-12.

Who is next in the log?

Sid NH7C-3

-----Original Message-----
From: aprssig-bounces at tapr.org [mailto:aprssig-bounces at tapr.org] On Behalf
Of Chris Moulding
Sent: Thursday, February 18, 2010 5:21 AM
To: TAPR APRS Mailing List
Subject: [aprssig] APRS Messenger now has APRS over PSK-63

I've released the latest version of the APRS Messenger v 2.26 program.

The biggest change is that APRS over PSK-63 has been added. This has been
tried before with an add-on to UI-View but that had problems sending packets
with errors to the APRS-IS system. I've added a preamble, start and stop
flags and a strong checksum to each packet so that each received packet is
checked as correct before being sent to the internet.
The display will show all packets received even with errors so that weak
signals can still be read manually. A frequency hopping routine has been
added to the PSK-63 receiver to allow rapid signal acquisition over a +/- 50
Hz range. A Tune option allows the operator to send a carrier + 150 Hz in
frequency to avoid interference to other APRS over PSK-63 users. The program
uses the PC soundcard in a similar way to other digimode programs.

The program comes in three versions with different PSK-63 audio tone
frequencies, 700, 1300 and 2100 Hz.

The second change is the addition of a receive only Igate. All HF or VHF
packets received can be sent to the APRS-IS. If the connection to the APRS
server is lost it automatically retries 1 minute later.

Future developments will include a GPS option for mobile HF tracking.

If you want to try APRS over PSK-63 on HF I'm running an Igate on 10.1497
MHz. Set your receiver to a dial frequency of 10.1476 MHz USB with the
2.1 kHz
version. Please note that the dial frequency is the same as used for
existing HF 300 bd packet APRS so it will work with existing HF APRS
set-ups. In the US Lynn KJ4ERJ is also running an APRS over PSK-63 Igate on
10.1476 MHz.

The software is freeware and can be downloaded from the following webpage:

http://www.crosscountrywireless.net/aprs_messenger.htm

A Yahoo group for discussion on this and other topics:

See you on the waterfall!

73,

Chris, G4HYG

--