[aprssig] Snow, Back-feed, Shocking things

Greg D. ko6th_greg at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 8 23:06:32 EST 2010

Not to keep the discussion going, but I haven't seen this morsel of input...

I am told that a Transfer Switch also is constructed to prevent an arc-welded contact from keeping the circuit live.  With standard circuit breakers (like the 100A "mains" breakers in a typical home panel), there is a small but non-zero chance that opening the breakers will not actually open the circuit due to a failed contact.  There is pretty much no way to detect that this has occurred, until you've killed someone upstream.

Greg  KO6TH