[aprssig] APRS RFID reader?

Wes Johnston, AI4PX wes at ai4px.com
Tue Feb 2 12:41:14 EST 2010

Ahhh so the trick is to make the RFID badge have the same callsign as the
car you driving!

Perfect... changes my icon from a car to a jogger when I hit the door.  And
when I leave the building, sure I'm "tagged" at the door, but I will soon
get into my car and my icon will change....
 DONE!  wow.

Also, I saw someone mention decay... we don't need that.... the reader (RFID
gate) is a stateless machine.... when it sees a card, it beacons the card or
callsign. besides - the last thing we'd want is a depreciated position
transmitted for me in a building when I'm 20 minutes down the road in my
car.

Another idea....
In a multi story building... pick a place away from the building you are in
and call that place "2nd floor".  All people on 2nd floor would be randomly
plotted around the fake spot.  Who says we have to only track people at the
exits?  We can track them at the stairwells too.

Wes

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 12:29, Robert Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu> wrote:

> > I do RFID systems professionally.
> > If your reader's can't give you
> > direction of motion, there's no
> > 100% reliable way to infer such
> > information.
>
> I agree and adding the complexity is not worth it.
> I'm just happy with a detection at the EOC and a date/time
> stamp.
>
> That's all that APRS is anyway.  When the car stops, we have no
> heading or speed info.  We just know that that car was last
> heard at that location at that date and time.  That's enough for
> this purpose.
>
> Bob, Wb4APR

Wes
---
God help those who do not help themselves.