[aprssig] APRS RFID reader?

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Feb 2 12:25:35 EST 2010

> If you get a reading from one reader, you
> make darned sure the other one can't talk.
> While I'm standing in the magic spot, the
> outside door mat reads my ID.  It starts
> sending serial data...

At 9600 baud, the 32 bits are sent in 3 milliseconds or so.

And by definition, no two readers can detect it at the same
time.  The two readers would be by definition spaced wide enough
apart to pickup additional capture volume and NOT overlap other
readers.

One step at a brisk 3 MPH pace swings my foot though the 6"
detection range of a 6" coil in about 100 ms. Plenty of time for
a detection and far from any other reader.

Oh, the one thing we need more info on is the reader coil.  The
example on the spark-fun web page is a 6 inch coil... But then,
that is for reading a card probably hand swipped through an
area.  I'd like to see more info on what would happen if you
made the coil larger.  Maybe the detection distance will go
down, but the effective area will go up?
And a walking foot does not rise more than an inch or 2 off the
floor.  Else why do we trip on the cracks in sidewalks...

Bob, WB4APR