[aprssig] APRS RFID reader?

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Mon Feb 1 16:21:39 EST 2010

Passive RFID tags don't do long range very well... returned signal
decreases with the 4th power of the distance.

With the active tags I've got on my bench (somewhere in the $12 to $20
range, I think) I can get a reading from across the warehouse, maybe 70
feet, and with some work you can get a position estimate using omni DF
from multiple receivers - the tags are set up to send their ID at
several different power levels, since the receiver doesn't have any sort
of useful RSSI output.

Even the active tags don't have much penetrating power, though.  You can
put your hand around one and block off the signal when the receiver's
only a foot away.  I was hoping to use them to track people and
equipment in SAR vehicles, but I'm still not sure it's reliable enough.

Scott
N1VG