[aprssig] Portable APRS

Phil N6TCT phil_aprssig at lapsley.org
Fri Dec 31 11:57:14 EST 2010

Maybe you're thinking of a different app that PocketPacket?  The
description seems to put it spot-on as an APRS client; it sounds similar
to iAPRS except that it adds an actual modem (1200 bps AFSK modulator
and demodulator) for use on-air instead of just APRS-IS.  Quoting from
the description:

"PocketPacket is an APRS client for your iPhone/iPod Touch. The
"Automatic Position Reporting System" is a packet communication protocol
used by amateur radio operators (HAMs) around the world, to report
position, status, station capabilities, weather or other information in
real time. PocketPacket incorporates a software-based TNC, allowing you
to directly capture and visualize 1200 baud packets (AFSK modulation)
using a VHF radio transceiver. On the other hand, you can also get
packets over the Internet, by selecting one of the available Tier 2
servers of the global APRS-IS network. Incoming data is presented on a
map, as most packets define some object, with a specific symbol and
location. By selecting a symbol, you can view the latest information
sent for the corresponding object, as well as the raw packets that
produced it. All available objects are also shown in a list, which
allows you to search for the ones you are looking for. With PocketPacket
you can follow the status of the APRS network from everywhere - monitor
moving objects, get real time weather reports directly from local
stations and more. Now, with an iPhone/iPod Touch and PocketPacket, you
can have a full-fledged picture of packet activity in a small, portable
package - ideal for field work or the ham shack."

Phil, N6TCT