[aprssig] Portable APRS

Phil N6TCT phil_aprssig at lapsley.org
Fri Dec 31 11:21:24 EST 2010

There is an actual APRS app for the iphone called "PocketPacket".  By
"actual" I mean one that actually squawks and decodes audio packets: the
TNC and modem are done in software on the iphone, so no external TNC
hardware is needed.  It's $4.99.  So to my mind, PocketPacket plus a
cable between your iphone and a small 2-meter HT and you've got the
smallest, cheapest portable APRS station with a smartphone UI.
Disclaimer: I have not used PocketPacket (hope to play with it this
weekend, in fact); reviews on the apple store indicate that it's still
in development and has bugs and missing features, blah blah.

http://www.appstorehq.com/pocketpacket-iphone-94648/app

Phil, N6TCT