[aprssig] Portable APRS

Eric Hansen skyssx at gmail.com
Thu Dec 30 13:46:07 EST 2010

I follow your line of thought because i've gone down roughly the same line.
One development interesting to me is the ability for the iPad to operate as
a USB or RS232 host. The USB is already on the market as a digital camera
interface. The same company is making an official DB9 and RJ11 serial output
dongle. I would like my APRS to be something the size of a tablet, or
smaller, and offer the ability to do anything that an old dekstop computer
with TNC and radio could do. The iPad has a GPS chipset inside already, so
there is really nothing stopping someone with enough know-how from making a
two piece solution.

www.byonics.com makes the Tiny Trak series of TNCs. They have several dumb
tracker solutions on various PCBs. The radio from the 10w AIO, a TT3 or 4
TNC, and someone to write an apple store app would make the smallest
solution i've been able to think of.