[aprssig] "Best" packet decoder solution

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Dec 29 21:40:34 EST 2010

On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 10:55:05AM -0800, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <curt.we7u at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> On Wed, 29 Dec 2010, Wes Johnston, AI4PX wrote:
>
> > Perhaps each of the
> > offending stations is running a kpc3plus as well.  I gotta say though, I
> > never saw the behavior in an xastir station.  Maybe xastir people are too
> > cheap to buy new TNCs??? hihi.
>
> KD7NM (now SK) was running a KPC-3+ with Xastir as an igate.  I
> didn't run an igate at the time because he lived so close.  He had
> the problem regularly, so every few months he had to power-cycle the
> KPC-3+ to make it behave again.  As far as I can remember this
> affects only KISS mode on the KPC-3+ (68HC11 processor), and not an
> a KPC-3 (6801 processor).  I believe it affects both 8.x and 9.x
> firmware versions but my memory on that is slipping.

I ran my Igate using a KPC-3+ in KISS mode.  I had to reset it every few
*days* because of this issue.  The software driving the TNC was irrelevant.
Saw the delays with Xastir and javAPRSSrvr driving the TNC directly.
Replacing the KPC-3+ with a Tracker2 ended the issue once and for all.

I had 9.x firmware in my KPC-3+.

Someone here (or possibly on one of the Yahoo groups related to APRS) posted
that they had been trying to get Kantronics to recognize and address the
problem, but AFAIK they have not done so, and have claimed that they are
unable to reproduce it.

 "The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off."