[aprssig] "Best" packet decoder solution

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Wed Dec 29 12:48:38 EST 2010

In all communications I've read, it has been tracked down to a KPC-3+
(note the +, the non-+ doesn't seem to have issues) running in KISS mode
for an extended period of time where that period shortens in the
presence of heavy traffic.  It was once thought to only be the latest
(V9?) ROM version, but I've seen it also mentioned as affecting V8 ROMs.

It has been seen in UI-View as well as Xastir, and I have no doubt that
my own APRSISCE/32 would be affected as it seems to be a delay in
delivering the received packets out the KISS port.  The software on the
outside of the COM port has no way to affect this.

Someone recently suggested that possibly just dropping the KPC-3+ out of
KISS and back in might recover from or prevent this delay.  However,
given the difficulty in even seeing that the delay is happening, this
would be a very difficult thing to prove and I'd hate to rely on such a
recovery on some remote installation.  Cycling power on the KPC-3+ has
been shown to reliably break it out of whatever confused state it gets
itself into.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Relaying my memory of what I've read