[aprssig] River Gauging APRS setup

Lee Mushel herbert3 at centurytel.net
Fri Dec 17 09:37:23 EST 2010

Gentlemen,

I find this to be a very interesting topic.   You see, next spring I might get a phone call from the National Weather Service and then I take the key and drive to the river gauge, open the padlock, lower the "sensor" and read the value, then restore everything and drive to the next gauge and then the next.   This may take 45 minutes.   Then I email NWS my report---or I could radio it to them but the email is preferred because it provides a record that is easily handled.  Now, since there is that padlock to be considered I hope that any plans would include provisions for security---especially if I am paying for this!

But I must warn you that a suggestion by me that realtime water/flood photos be "radioed" by ham radio to the hydrologist was met with absolutely no enthusiasm.  Acceptance of new ideas, even though they have merit, can be difficult!

73

Lee  K9WRU