[aprssig] APRS SDR

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Mon Dec 13 14:46:37 EST 2010

Dave G0WBX wrote...

> ...Lets not just stick with 1200bd AFSK, though it works reasonably
> well. There are many other schemes to play with. Or even improve
> on AFSK while still using it.

I agree. It's amazing what has been done with what was essentially
"come as you are" hardware from 20 years ago, but if APRS is going
to grow beyond where it is now, we need to do at least as well as
AIS as far as time slotting and collision avoidance. AIS can literally
have thousands of vessels within earshot of each other and the
system just takes care of itself. I'm as much of a "stick in the mud"
as anyone else and have never even used 9.6K, but we can do better.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH