[aprssig] APRS SDR

Dave dave at g8kbv.demon.co.uk
Mon Dec 13 14:30:38 EST 2010

Take a look at MultiPSK.  That (AFIK) has some APRS functionality, and
also I/Q audio interface to/from SDR.  (Shame about the user interface,
but lots of people seem to like it all in one dialogue!)

Also, FlDigi, with Jpskmail.  All software, and can produce the audio
stream you then translate to RF, and the other way round.  jpskmail also
has some APRS functionality.   (And a truly beautiful UI!)

You don't need mega DSP systems, or GHz clocked A/D-D/A's etc, take a
look at what can be done with simple I/Q mixers and SDR software.  Just
look at WinRad, PowerSDR and all the others, right down to Rocky, all
work with simple hardware such as a Softrock, so long as you already have
a half decent PC to play with.

With modern multi core CPU's and OS's to suit, it's only going to get
much easier as more and more people get their head's around the
principles, while other people engineer better ways to use the multi core
CPU's for jobs like this.

The single biggest problem, is getting a decent true stereo soundcard,
that doesn't do odd things, or have drivers that mess with other aspects.

SDR is at the beginning of it's life in the Amateur world.  It's been a
major player in some professional/secure comm's systems for a while,
there is  l o t s  of opertunity for the amateur to experiment with this.

Lets not just stick with 1200bd AFSK, though it works reasonably well.
There are many other schemes to play with.  Or even improve on AFSK while
still using it.

Enjoy.

73

Dave G0WBX.