[aprssig] Object Timestamps and 111111

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Mon Dec 13 13:19:29 EST 2010

Lynn KJ4ERJ wrote...

> Thank you. These are the details that need to be on a web page somewhere.
>  I Googled for it at aprs.org, but came up empty.  If we really want to see
> new client software developed, there really needs to be a one-stop definition
> of EVERYTHING that has evolved to date. Not a list of "ideas" with no
> indication of what's really in use and what's just future thoughts and ramblings.

What we really need is a single document that spells out the APRS spec.
There would be nothing wrong with having further explanations on a web
site, or discussions about proposed changes, but the way things are now,
it's a moving target. I often refer to the "spec" as we know it in the APRS
protocol ver 1.0 PDF file. I seldom go searching the random collection at
aprs.org for updates. Looking at the original PDF spec, it is referred to as
"Automatic Positioning Reporting System APRS Protocol ver 1.0" right
on the first page of the PDF file. It's no wonder so many people refer it to
APRS that way instead of Automatic Packet Reporting System. Bob has
lots of good ideas, and from time to time, a few that use could use a bit
more discussion but it really needs to all be in one document.

Is there anyone willing to take on the task of drafting a version 2 document?
It would be a big task, and even deciding which changes outlined at aprs.org
made it into the spec or if some needed some fine tuning would be quite a job.
As Lynn pointed out, we really need a "one stop definition" of the spec if
we expect someone to write a real "UI-View replacement".

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH