[aprssig] Low power APRS digi that allows additional data

Kris Kirby kris at catonic.us
Sun Dec 12 13:40:11 EST 2010

On Sun, 12 Dec 2010, Jason KG4WSV wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 5:44 AM, Andre v Schaijk
> <aprs at pe1rdw.demon.nl> wrote:
> > I would sugest going for an openwrt or nslu2 capable network storage
> > device,
>
> These are not low power devices, unless you compare them to a 300 watt
> desktop computer or a refrigerator.
>
> They are orders of magnitude more hungry than an OT2m (12 mA idle, 30
> mA transmitting).  IIRC, an NSLU2 requires around 1000mA, more to
> power a USB peripheral (like a TNC).

I was going to suggest something out of the Alix line for a support PC,
since they are low power (again, in comparison to a 100 - 300 W desktop
computer) and give one access to the tools needed to remotely control a
TNC (however, one would need to add a serial port, probably using USB).

2.4GHz or 5GHz at the site would likely be a hit or miss proposition
unless a directional antenna is used and some power.

When you're dealing with a site that has line-of-sight to over 50 miles
away, there's a lot of noise that can be picked up.

I assume that this digi will be shared with a repeater that has a very
good antenna (DB-224/8/Super Stationmaster). =)

--
Kris Kirby, KE4AHR
Disinformation Analyst