[aprssig] New kid on the block

Randy Allen ka0azs at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 11 20:52:38 EST 2010

Check out the "new kid" on the APRS Client block, APRSIS32.

I'm currently running it as my base station software and this will
probably finally replace APRS +SA as my primary software when
mobile/deployed for an event.

Free, Easy set up, open source maps (which have been pretty accurate in
my area and no more outdated than MapPoint or Delorme), works with any
KISS TNC (I just had to re-learn how to put my MFJ 1270 into KISS mode),
and functionally the closest windows program to the original fit and
feel of DOS APRS (my personal benchmark).

It's also under current development with an author that is actively
engaged and making updates (and no, that was NOT a shot at UI View, just
a fact. WINAPRS and +SA are pretty dormant as well).

Details at http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/

Another current client is APRSPoint which uses MS MapPoint maps.  Also
with an author currently actively developing it, but it is not free ($77
with a copy of MapPoint, $47 if already have it) and has a bit more of a
learning curve. I have a registered copy and will keep it as a back up
and in situation where the MapPoint might be of more use than the open
source one used by APRSIS32 (such as plotting event routes, etc)
http://www.aprspoint.com/

Hope this helps

73

Randy KAØAZS