[aprssig] New kid on the block

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Sat Dec 11 15:59:22 EST 2010

KC8SFQ wrote...

> I have built, and used, a tracker (Argent's OT1). and I have a TNC (an old
> MFJ) a GPS (Magellan hand held with NMEA serial output), and a laptop
> (Dell Inspiron 8600). I understand that these are most of the bits and
> pieces I need. My question regards running APRS for more than just
> beaconing. Some of the new radios have all this functionality built in,
> but I'm working on a budget and need to use the old stuff I already
> have. My goal is to be able to run a mapping program while mobile
> that shows my location and updates as I move. It should also plot
> the stations around me and post any messages addressed to my call...

Take a look at UI-View. It's a freebie download from www.ui-view.org
with a suggested donation to the cancer agency of your choice. While
you are there, also download PMapServer 7 (read instructions before
installing) and then make your way to Undertow software to purchase
Streets & Trips for $50. This will give you street level mapping for all
of North America with pan, scroll, zoom etc.

There are some nay-sayers because the UI-View author passed away
several years ago, but it is still the most stable and useable program
around. It does everything you want and more.

Is it the OT1 or OT1+ that you have? If it's the + version, you could load
the KISS and use it with UI-View.  Otherwise use the MFJ TNC.

Does the Inspiron 8600 have serial ports? you will actually need two...
one for the TNC and one for the GPS. A couple of USB to serial adapters
will do the job. If you look around, you might find an adapter that provides
two serial ports.

www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=dual+USB+to+serial+port
http://shop.ebay.ca/i.html?LH_PayPal=1&LH_PrefLoc=1&_nkw=dual+USB+to+serial+adapter

Mind you, GPS pucks that connect direct to the USB port are cheap
and you don't have to worry about powering them. If the 8600 already
has an RS-232 port for the TNC, it would be my choice.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH