[aprssig] Windows Igate software for 9k6 stream?

Andre v Schaijk aprs at pe1rdw.demon.nl
Tue Dec 7 06:50:43 EST 2010

Op 5-12-2010 17:29, Keith VE7GDH schreef:
> Andre PE1RDW wrote...
>
>> UI-View is stable but limits to max 99 packets per 3 minutes, hardly
>> usable for streaming on 9k6.
>
> That isn't true. While FILE - EDIT IGATE.INI only allows you enter
> a maximum value of 99, you can set it to zero, which removes the limit.
> It isn't apparent looking at the HELP, but if you view IGATE.INI with
> a text editor, you will see...
>
>     ;If you wish to disable the limits, you can put a '0'
>     ;for all three values, but PLEASE don't disable the
>     ;limits without first thinking very carefully about
>     ;what you are doing and why you are doing it!
>
> However, viewing the previous paragraph does warn you...
>
>     ;PLEASE NOTE - The capacity of a 1200 baud RF channel
>     ;is around 30 frames a minute (obviously it depends on
>     ;frame length, TXD settings, etc). To gate 6 frames in
>     ;a minute means that you are taking up around 20% of
>     ;the channel capacity, and that's not allowing for your
>     ;frames being digipeated! So before you increase these
>     ;numbers, please bear in mind that many APRS experts
>     ;would say that the defaults are too high. You should
>     ;always try to use values that are appropriate for
>     ;local conditions.
>
> I would translate that to mean that the most you could gate to RF
> would be about 240 frames per minute, but keep in mind that this
> would represent 100% of the channel capacity.
>
> Were you gating this to a shared frequency? Obviously, if you are
> doing this on your "own" frequency, you can do whatever you want,
> but if others are using the frequency, you will have to be careful
> about what you are doing.
>
> 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
> --

I have been running with limits set to 0 and a range of 500 km (311
mile) as a test and so far I have the following observations:
number of stations on the aprs-is aprox 1100
channel occupation with 9k6 aprox 50 to 70%
The frequentie used is 430.5125 this is the dutch 70cm aprs frequentie
that in my tx range has become unused because our novice opperators what
this frequentie was set up for have gained access to the whole 2 meter
and 70 cm bands and nolonger need 70 cm for access freeing it up for
aprs experiments like this.
probably should do an analis on the frame rate and payload size but the
main goal of the experiment has proven itself, 9k6 is perfectly usable
to stream a 500 km radius of the aprs-is to rf, at least in europe, the
radius would probably have to be smaller if you are in a very densly
used aprs area.

73 de Andre PE1RDW