[aprssig] DR135 digi?

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Fri Dec 3 13:15:06 EST 2010

Jordan KG6UAE wrote...

>> The built in TNC is near worthless.
>
> I think that's an overstatement.

In my opinion, it's not too much of an overstatement. The EJ-41U doesn't
do SmartBeaconing. I would hate to see a lot of them fired up in a busy
location with a fast fixed beacon rate. Given that the frequency is fairly
busy where Bob lives, I can't see him wanting to use it as a tracker, and
of course, it isn't capable of being used as a digipeater... at least not
without adding a computer or some other hardware. It can do KISS mode,
but not very well. I believe it's due to the small buffer. Doesn't the D700
have the same flaw? With the EJ-41U, no settings can be changed without
connecting it to a terminal program. With a T2-135 connected via an FMI
cable to a Nuvi 350, it can be used as a network-friendly tracker with
SmartBeaconing. It even does "proportional pathing". You can send and
receive APRS messages. You can also change parameters by sending
commands from the Nuvi. They can even be changed remotely via an
APRS message. And of course, you can see all of the APRS stations
around you as well as talk to them with this combination.

> I like Scott's product; heck, I have a handful of them. But I wouldn't call the
> factory TNC worthless, especially if, like Bob did, you come across one in
> a box of forgotten toys. FWIW, there's two things that the EJ-41U has that
> the OT2 doesn't: 9600 baud; and connected mode operation. And although it
> doesn't have APRS digipeating built-in, it works just fine with a
> software digipeater like aprs4r.

I probably have more like a bucket load of Scott's products than a handful
hi! I'll go along you on 9600 though. I was thinking more along the lines of
how it does not make a good tracker, can't digipeat, isn't really great on KISS,
and can't be controlled remotely, and so on.

I know you are familiar with the EJ-41U  and the T2-135 etc. A lot of the
above is for the benefit of people that are still using "dumb trackers" when
there are better and much lower cost solutions out there. As far as Bob
goes, all he really needs to know is that the EJ-41U can't be used as a
stand-alone digi.

> The T2-135 is a better mousetrap, especially for APRS; but what it
> replaced isn't worthless. Anyone who thinks their EJ-41U is worthless
> is welcome to send it to me!

Well, you will need another radio to put each one in. If people giving them
away included a DR-135T, I would get them to send them to me instead!

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH