[aprssig] APRS Desert?

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Aug 27 09:32:12 EDT 2010

> I was really surprised to find out that there's
> virtually no APRS activity in NB along I-80. I
> saw no stations being heard on the radio

How often were you beaconing?

Unless you are at a one minute rate, passing others at 140 MPH
or more means you only have a few packets chance to see each
other.  At a 3 minute rate, you may never TX or RX a packet
within 6 miles of each other (out of range)..

Were you listening on Voice alert? The ear can hear a packet at
double the distance you can decode it.

Less is, in remote areas, always be sure to operate at a 1
minute rate, and activate Voice Alert so you can hear them.  In
fact, run normal noise squelch so you can hear ANYONE.  In fact,
you will then hear the weak packets twice a day coming down from
PCSAT-1 (W3ADO-1) wheneve it comes over (though it is mostly
dead and the packets do not complete)..

Just some thoughts...

Bob, Wb4APR

yesterday.
> (glad I don't do that often!)
>
> I was really surprised to find out that there's virtually no
APRS
> activity in NB along I-80. I saw no stations being heard on
the radio
> stn list (VX8) and for awhile I thought my radio was broken!
It
> wasn't  until I got back into CO in the range of the mountains
that I
> started seeing call signs in the calls-heard list again.  I
thought I
> would have heard at least a few trackers on RVs, trucks or
hams in
> general along I-80 but nothing?  Grand Island was the only
object
> heard/seen. Sure glad to be back in CO where there's plenty
APRS