[aprssig] Maps

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sun Aug 15 21:53:38 EDT 2010

  On 8/15/2010 5:51 PM, Arnie Shore wrote:
> This will/may sound a bit convoluted, but tain't really so:  I have some php
> scripts that will do two things.
>

> Now how you can integrate this into, say, Xastir, is an interesting question.
>
> Background: I've written these for eventual use in the CAD package of mine,
> which is on its way from Google's maps to OSM/OL.  So right now, it's a
> 'local' web application, written in PHP.  "Local' means that while you don't
> need an internet connection, you DO need the usual web engines, which are
> readily installed via WAMP.  Or  LAMP.  Or MAMP.  Pieces of cake to install,
> each.

The requirement is to integrate into a Windows-based program -- UI-View.
This application has a unique specific interface and requirement for
rectangular lat/long grid "non-projected" maps.   To make things worse, the
program is an orphan - the author died in late 2004. At his request from his
deathbed, the source code was destroyed.   There is a partly-documented API for
adding plugins to the program.

Further, the original poster is a cross-country driver.  Caching terabytes of
OSM images at numerous scales of the whole country for off-line use wouldn't be
very practical.