[aprssig] Maps

Arnie Shore shoreas at gmail.com
Sun Aug 15 20:51:40 EDT 2010

This will/may sound a bit convoluted, but tain't really so:  I have some php
scripts that will do two things.

One - given yr lat/long area of interest and the zooms - is to download onto
yr hard drive a set of OpenStreetMaps tiles/files.  Time and storage
requirements may be non-trivial, depending on yr needs of course.

The second gives you the 'slippy' zoom & scroll map view of yr selected
area.

Now how you can integrate this into, say, Xastir, is an interesting
question.

Background: I've written these for eventual use in the CAD package of mine,
which is on its way from Google's maps to OSM/OL.  So right now, it's a
'local' web application, written in PHP.  "Local' means that while you don't
need an internet connection, you DO need the usual web engines, which are
readily installed via WAMP.  Or  LAMP.  Or MAMP.  Pieces of cake to install,
each.

While this server requirement may turn some folks off, it's readily
implemented on any POS hardware, really.  And it's  free and open source.

Do let me know of any interest in pursuing further.

Arnie Shore
Annapolis, MD