[aprssig] Subject: Re: SKY1 - callsign? Wayne County, Ohio.

Heikki Hannikainen hessu at hes.iki.fi
Fri Aug 13 04:06:20 EDT 2010

Thanks Ed,

Giving a nice call to the airport's officials was the Right Thing To Do.
They have the proper authority and (at least usually over here) the
responsibility and experience to teach and advice private pilots on safety
and regulations.

I don't believe that jamming (on RF or APRS-IS) is the right approach.
It'll only have the same effect as (the more effective) filtering specific
tactical callsigns at the web sites. The offenders will just switch to
valid callsigns owned by other individual hams. Then we won't notice.
OTOH, everyone will be happy since no-one will know something illegal is
happening. :)

On Thu, 12 Aug 2010, Ed Lizard Rosen wrote:

> Likely BS, she does not even own a leather skirt, to my knowledge.
>
> The talk I had with the person who answered the phone at the Medina
> Municipal Airport as the only airplane to land there in 20 minutes
> taxied to the tiedown area 3 minutes after the last beacon from SKY1 was
> on the APRS-IS, covered the fact that an airplane that just landed at
> said airport was using a tracking device that required it being properly
> identified because it transmitted on channels in the Amateur Radio
> Service, a service licensed and regulated just like Civil Aviation. The
> gentleman that I spoke with was quite understanding of the many issues
> related to improper/illegal operation of equipment in a
> regulated/licensed service and told me that he was going out to talk
> with that pilot who had just landed.  I did not ask for the tail number,
> and seeing how this thread has progressed, that may have garnered more
> humourous retorts.

   - Hessu