[aprssig] /A= altitude question

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Fri Aug 6 23:50:31 EDT 2010

 From aprs101.pdf (search for it and read a copy):

Altitude in Comment Text — The comment may contain an altitude value,
in the form /A=aaaaaa, where aaaaaa is the altitude in feet. For example:
/A=001234. The altitude may appear anywhere in the comment.

No, /A=000-17 is not a valid altitude.  My client would simply ignore
it, and leave it in the comment text because it looks for /A= followed
by a valid 6 digit number.  It does allow for a minus sign and 5 digits,
but NOT for a non-number as this is.  If you know it's a BigRedBee, I'd
suggest contacting them to get their firmware fixed.

PS.  On the transmitting side, my client will only transmit an altitude
if it is greater than 0.  I know there are places on the planet where <0
is valid, but they are fewer and further between than GPSs that indicate
negatives when people are driving around at or just above sea level.