[aprssig] Meteor Scatter

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Wed Aug 4 14:54:27 EDT 2010

  On 8/4/2010 11:20 AM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
> Being a non-UI-View user (so don't tell me to read the "excellent help
> file"), what does "Meteor Mode" actually do different than any other mode?

It overrides many of the normal operating defauts, such as beacon rates &
patterns, paths and ports.  Quoting from the "Meteor Mode" paragraph of the
UI-View help system:

=============== PASTE================

Meteor Mode Setup
UI-View32 Meteor Mode is a special mode in which the program can be used to
transmit beacon frames very frequently. It is designed to be used for meteor
scatter propagation tests.

Two different modes of operation are possible - "Interval" mode and "Burst" mode.

    * Interval Mode - A single beacon frame is transmitted at a specified time
      interval.

    * Burst Mode - Beacon frames are transmitted continuously for a period of
      seconds. You can specify how long the burst should be, and when you want
      it to start in terms of the number of seconds into each minute
      .
    * Port - The port on which you wish to use Meteor Mode.

    * Unproto address - The address to which you want to send the beacon
      frames, including any digis. The destination address and digis should be
      separated with commas, do not used 'V' or 'VIA'. Examples - CQ would
      address the beacon frames to CQ,  CQ,RELAY would address the beacons to
      CQ via RELAY.

    * Beacon - The text of the beacon you want to send. For meteor scatter use,
      the beacon should be as short as possible. The shortest beacon that can
      usefully be interpreted by APRS software is probably your IARU locator
      surrounded by square brackets, e.g. "[IO92XX]", and that is the beacon
      you are recommended to use.

NOTE - The following four automatic beacon input buttons cannot be used until
you have input your latitude and longitude in Station Setup.

    * Grid - Automatically input a grid square beacon.

    * Grid-in-status - Automatically input an APRS "grid in status" format
      position beacon.

    * Posit - Automatically input a normal APRS position beacon.

    * Comp'd - Automatically input a compressed APRS position beacon.

    * Interval (only used in Interval mode)  - The interval, in seconds, at
      which you wish to transmit a single beacon.

    * Start (only used in Burst mode) - The number of seconds into each minute
      at which you want the burst of beacon frames to start. You can specify
      more than one time, e.g. "0,30" would mean "start a burst at 0 seconds
      into each minute and another burst at 30 seconds into each minute". If
      you were conducting a trial with someone, then they might specify
      "15,45", so that your transmissions interleaved.

    * Duration (only used in Burst mode) - The length in seconds of each burst
      of frames. UI-View converts the specified duration into a number of
      frames to send. The calculation is accurate, but it makes two
      assumptions  - (a) that you are using 1200 baud, and (b) that your TNC
      will transmit continuously when fed with a stream of frames. If your TNC
      releases the PTT every few frames (the TH-D7 appears to behave in this
      way.), then you will need to make allowances for it, because a specified
      duration of, say, 10 seconds, will result in an actual burst length of
      perhaps 15 seconds.